Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's D

8:30am
B-Trip: Home

You know you've found your soul mate when you live for each moment you spend together and happily devote your life to making the other's easier*. Also, when you can say:

"Honey, I'm going to keep track of every D I take this year online."

And after a moment of consideration, when she cracks a smile and does her best Renee Zellweger ("You had me at 'every D'."), you know this love was meant to be.

Elle, you and I are cut from the same cloth. Happy Valentine's Day.

In many ways, I guess we're a lot like the couple in this tender and poignant short film that proudly boasts the D-Liberation Smudge of Approval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZGlP-nw0k

Kudos to its creator, Scott Rothman, for helping keep the letter D not only at the front of the alphabet, but also in the forefront of our national consciousness.

*Six, count 'em, SIX "you's" in that sentence. Who says it's all about me?


11:10am
B-Trip: Home

It's been a while since I've delivered a Followup D. I'd like to thank the jalapenos in last night's homemade burritos for the opportunity.

A quote from President Bush's news conference earlier today has been rattling around in my head:

"Let's put it this way, money trumps peace, sometimes. In other words, commercial interests are very powerful interests throughout the world."

Wow....Could this have been a rare moment of clarity? A frank sentence or two shedding light on the real reasons our foreign policy has become such a mess?

Ummmm.....No.

He was actually responding to a question about why, if Iran is indeed the looming threat his administration claims, why are so many of our allies unwilling to support military action?

So don't worry. There were no ulterior motives for the Iraq invasion. Saddam was seconds away from killing us all. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a lot more freedom to cram down these people's throats.

Oh, man....I just took D on my soapbox.

That's gonna leave a smear.

No comments: