Saturday, February 3, 2007

Groundhog D

9:00am
B-Trip: Home

Reading about Climate Change and SF Mayor Gavin Newsom's affair.

If I wake up tomorrow and find this day repeating itself over and over again for all eternity, I promise I'll try harder to make this particular D more riveting.


10:25pm
B-Trip: Home

To my knowledge, Elle & I are the only people who watch a program entitled 'What About Brian?'. I think it's on ABC.

It's a flawed show, full of melodrama and disappointing plot twists. The casting is ok, but not perfect. In short, the show is a weekly effort in unrealized potential. It's a J.J. Abrams show, and though the runt of his litter, Elle ensures I never miss it. And I admit...like the Iraq war, at this point I'm in so deep I might as well keep going. That said, I am man enough to admit that getting involved in this program was a mistake. One that I would not repeat. I don't care how bad a man Saddam Hussein was. But I digress...

The show, a relationship drama about 30-somethings in LA with a penchant for poor decision-making, has a catchy theme song entitled "Calling All Friends". A band called Low Stars is responsible for the ditty and have made it available for your listening pleasure on their MySpace page. Who knows? Maybe if you become their 'friend', they'll call you. (The portion on "What About Brian" picks up at the 1:19 mark.)

To hook the viewer, the opening credits (and theme song) typically don't kick in until at least 10 minutes into the show. Sadly, delaying them this long often makes the opening credits seem a spoof of itself. Many times after a big 'moment' at any point during the show, Elle or I will sing out "Calling All Friends!" since we've become so conditioned by the song's mid-story placement.

Anyway, I'm sitting here trying to get the song out of my mind. Not having much success. It's a wussy song along the same lines as the 'Friends' theme, but it grows on you, eventually lodging into your temporal lobe like one of Khan's earworms.

The tricky thing about theme songs, I gather, is that they have to be pretty solid to hold up to the repetition each week. For every 'Cheers' theme, there's a hundred "Calling All Friends"es. Maybe that's why 'Lost' opts simply for a sound effect. The stakes are that high. I'm not sure why, but it does not appear you can swap out a bad theme song midway through a show's run. You gotta get it right from the get go. If not, you could be stuck with the same stinker season after season.

Here's what I'm wrestling with:

"Calling All Friends"
by Low Stars (Theme songs from 'What About Brian?')

I'm calling all friends, people I met on the way down
I'm calling all friends, people I don't even know.
Calling on high, I wanna believe there's a way now.
I'm too tired to pretend
I don't want to be alone, I'm calling all friends.

The guy's obviously lonely. What do you do when you're lonely? You call a friend. But that's not enough for this guy. He calls all of his friends. Every single one. And this degenerate doesn't stop there. He starts calling people he doesn't even know. I can't imagine that goes over well.

This is one annoying bastard. I'd be willing to surmise the root cause of his loneliness stems from his all out assault on the decent people of the world's AnyTime minutes. Nobody wants a friend like that. Imagine being one of the suckers in his Five.

No thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and my old lady are on the 4 train the other day heading up to Rothman's for the Super Bowl. Crowded train, folks pissed off due to the sub-zero windchill, and my old lady spies this mean-looking dude reading down the way, and his book is called "Tissue Cleansing for Bowel Management".

The picture on the cover is a circular yin-yang shape. In one half of it, a naked man walks in a garden of eden. In the other half: Industry.

My old lady says to me: We should just call "taking D" "Bowel Management". You retain the B.M. initials, and when someone asks where you been for the past 45-50 minutes you say, "I was managing my bowels."

This is all true.

Kenny Pice said...

First of all, it goes without saying that you got a quality dame on your hands. Any woman willing to discuss Taking D (while on the subway, no less) in a word 'gets it'. Actually that may be two words. I can't be totally sure.

It appears the book you mention is available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tissue-Cleansing-Through-Bowel-Management/dp/0960836071/sr=8-1/qid=1170791171/ref=sr_1_1/102-0808859-7895358?ie=UTF8&s=books

I enjoyed this review:

[This will shock you into cleansing, February 21, 2006

I'm sad this book is out of print. Ten years ago I read this book and decided I needed to cleanse.

You will see dramatic pictures of what comes out of people after they take pancreatin and do a colonic.

I did this pancreatin cleanse 10 years ago and could not believe what came out. Essentially, when you eat the standard American diet, you are not eliminating, and the food starts to build up on the walls of your colon.

Year after year, you build up more waste in your colon until it is a tar-like consistency. This book shows pictures of what comes out of people after a cleanse and all the different diseases that were cured by cleansing.

There are step by step instructions to help you understand the process.

This book is a classic and should be in every home! ]

I've taken a stand with this d'log: A picture may be worth a thousand words, but in circumstances regarding D it's generally better to write the words.

Perhaps the fact this book opted to show the pictures helps explain why the dude was so pissed off.