Monday, February 5, 2007

On D and Dying

8:14am
B-Trip: Home

Sitting here with my trusty Monday Morning D companion....the LA Times Health Section.

Reading about "graceful exits", all the rage amongst the elderly after Art Buchwald's recent passing. When confronted with a terminal diagnosis, more and more people are opting to spend their final days in the relative serenity of hospice care instead of exhausting all manner of aggressive treatments in a desperate attempt to squeeze out a few more days/months/years. The quality of life in which these people spend their waning time trumps anything modern medicine has to offer.

Why I felt like telling you this, I'm not sure. And quite frankly, I just read this article hoping to find an answer to a question that's plagued me for years:

Colostomy bag...awesome or not-so-awesome?

But no such luck. I did, however, come to the realization that I feel the same way about dying as I do about Taking D:

It's going to happen. Might as well do it on your own terms.


3:28pm
B-Trip: Home

Reading The Week.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best magazine out there, summing up all the events of the past seven days into enjoyable bite-sized pieces. National/International news, pop culture, food, travel...everything you need. I like to start in the middle with the editorial cartoons, then flip back a page for the Wit & Wisdom quotes - the majority of which come from deceased artists and world leaders (which always blows me away...I mean, how did they get these quotes from Winston Churchill and Oscar Wilde last week??). Some things I'm not meant to understand.

I then digest the rest in no particular order. In many ways The Week is my personal assistant, keeping me up-to-speed on relevant goings on around the globe. Mind you, we're not talking writing quality on par with The New Yorker or Esquire. However, they do take pains to present left and right-leaning takes on each of the major stories, which saves me a lot of time. Can you believe I used to have to check in with Seacrest, Hadley, Ueberroth, Greenspan, and Saget just to see what was going on in the world?

Because now, f*ck those dudes.


7:20pm
B-Trip: Home

Ripped right through today's crossword puzzle as the chili I've been eating nonstop since yesterday ripped through me.

No comments: