Thursday, January 25, 2007

Torpor

7:56am
B-Trip: Home

Good morning. Reading LA Times article about a combative interview Wolf Blitzer had with Dick Cheney. Why do I care about this garbage?

As a warm-blooded mammal with at least passing concern for humanity, I've never really had much in common with our Vice-President. However, that all changed with this D. It appears that both he and I are not too keen on Hillary Clinton becoming President. Cheney doesn't like that she's a "Democrat", a term he artfully infuses with the same contemptous inflexion more routinely associated with words like "rapist", "pedophile", or "Pat O'Brien".

Of course to me, 'Democrat' is just another jolly D-word. However, I simply refuse to believe that there's only two families capable of running our country. And with Jeb Bush in the offing, we need to break the cycle. Therefore, if Hillary wants my vote she needs to change her last name. "Jenkins" would do the trick. I'd also accept "Baxter Birney".

12:30pm
B-Trip: Home

It's go time. In a little while, we're heading down to the Volvo dealership.

Right now I'm poring through materials to sharpen my negotiating tactics.

8:25pm
B-Trip: Home

Guess what we did? I'll give you a hint: I'm currently thumbing through the S40 owner's manual.

Very good experience. Good deal. Etc. Etc.

But something was brought to my attention today that anyone considering getting a Volvo must be aware of. It's the Overseas Delivery Program. Volvo will give you roundtrip airfare to Europe where you can pick up your custom-designed car right off the line in Sweden. Then you can drive it around for up to two weeks before flying home and thinking: "Man...I sure wish the car I just bought was in America where I could use it."

Alright. I'm kidding. Obviously they ship it (at no cost to you). So it's basically like throwing in a free European vacation with your car purchase.

The only downside is that Volvo only pays for one night of accomodations, but who doesn't love sleeping in their new car? That's what Elle and I are doing tonight!

In fact, by picking it up in Europe, I could have saved 8.25% CA sales tax (the savings of which could have paid for several nights in a hotel).

And in case Sweden dicks you, I understand you can pretty much go to any port city in Europe. Our salespersom said one lady picked her car up in Paris, a city that seems rather land-locked to me. Thus, there appears to be some leeway.

My lease is up in September. I wasn't planning to make Elle & I a two-Volvo family, but for a highly-subsidized European vacation I might just consider it.

Oh, also....this D was loud and splashy. Must've been those delicious Milky Way Lattes at the dealership.

No comments: