Saturday, January 27, 2007

Poetry in Motion

9:06am
B-Trip: Home

'Ode to Mediocrit-D'

Just a regular poo
Whatcha gonna do?
Can't make no big todo
'Bout no regular poo.


12:10pm
B-Trip: Home

If you felt a tear in the gossamer fabric of society today a little after noon, a palpable trace of sadness knowing that somewhere out there your fellow man had been deeply wronged, then allow me to explain what that was all about.

As I prepared for this Followup D, I grabbed a section of the newspaper I thought contained a Sudoku. But upon commencement of the aforementioned movement, I realized I'd been had. This Calendar section, though teeming with movie times, reviews, and picture of a pomegranate juice mogul, contained no Sudoku.

A case could be made that I erroneously grabbed the wrong section. But that would imply that I'm the one at fault. So no thanks. I prefer to think the LA Times intentionally and perniciously led me astray by placing the Sudoku elsewhere. Look no further when pondering the declining fortunes of the once venerable newspaper industry.

But my fortunes took a turn for the better as this D, thanks in part to last night's veggie-loaded stir fry, was easy like a Sunday morning. Thus, I didn't spend too long fretting.

6:01pm
B-Trip: Home

Southern California is a desert. A pleasant one, but a desert nonetheless. Given our enormous population and arid climate, it's remarkable to me that there is always H2O available to flush the toilet and take a shower, much less to water your driveway - a seemingly ubiquitous ritual that never ceases to baffle. Since it only rains here a handful of times each year, obviously we're stealing clean water from somebody. So whomever/wherever that is...thanks!

I got water on the brain because, as I sit here reading an article about people who are trying to go three weeks without whining, I can hear raindrops falling outside!

I love the rain. In this part of the world, it instantly turns the mountains green and somehow dissipates the smog. Never is Los Angeles more beautiful than the day or two after it rains, when the haze customarily enveloping the city is still attempting to resurrect istelf, leaving the air crystal clear. For those few days, it's like living in HD. All the colors are brighter, more crisp. And best of all, it seems to buy us a couple days between wild fires.

So as long as I live through the day - never a sure thing considering the standard SoCal response to wet driving conditions is to SPEED UP (ostensibly to spend less time on the road), there's much to look forward to tomorrow.

No comments: